- 2 large red peppers, roasted and skinned (great directions over here, if you’re new to this)
- 3 c of cooked chickpeas, rinsed if canned (about 2 15-ounce cans)
- ¼ c of parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp of chopped mint
- 3 tbsp of capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice or red wine or sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Cut the peppers into half-inch wide strips and put them in a large bowl together with the chickpeas, herbs and the capers. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and oil. Pour over the chickpea mixture and combine.Serve immediately, or refrigerate it for a day to get the flavors to mingle fantastically.
This is a great make-ahead dish for weekday lunches. It would also be wonderful on a pile of torn lettuce, served with toasted pita wedges.