- 1/2-1 stick butter
- 2 7-oz. cans diced green chilies, drained
- ½ lb. chorizo sausage, browned & drained (optional)
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1 c. biscuit mix or homemade biscuit mix (recipe below)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
Homemade biscuit mix:
- 3 c. flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. shortening
- Stir together dry ingredients, blend in shortening. Store in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 9x13 baking dish. Layer chilies over the butter. Sprinkle with browned choriza, if using. Layer the cheeses next. In separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, biscuit mix & chili powder. Pour over other ingredients in pan. Bake 30-40 min. or until golden brown.