- lettuce - 1/2 head romaine, a bag of spring mix or your favorite
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ¼ c sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ c olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, oranges and green onions.
Heat 1 tablespoon sugar with the almonds in saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds. Stir constantly until almonds are light brown. Turn onto a plate, and cool for 10 minutes.
Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, one tablespoon sugar, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved.
Before serving, toss lettuce with salad dressing until coated. Transfer to a decorative serving bowl, and sprinkle with sugared almonds.