- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 2 c water
- ¼ c soy sauce
- ¼ c red wine or sherry
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 dashes sesame oil
- 2-4 tablespoons sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c chopped carrots
- 2 medium white turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 lbs bone in pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and bulk of meat cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 oz of tofu, cubed
- ½ c oyster mushrooms, rough chopped
- bean sprouts
- bean thread noodles
Bring broth, water, soy sauce, wine, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha and garlic to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
While sauce is simmering, Place carrots and turnips in the bottom and up the sides of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Top with pork, pork bone, and scallion whites.
Pour sauce over the pork and vegetables. And add the star anise pod and cinnamon stick.
Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low until the meat falls from the bone, and vegetables are tender.
Add mushrooms and tofu and continue to cook for 40 minutes
Soak bean thread noodles to hydrate
Discard the star anise pod and cinnamon stick. Skim fat.
To serve, add bean thread noodles to a bowl, ladle soup over noodles, and top with scallion greens, cilantro, bean sprouts and a squeezed lime wedge. Add additional Sriracha for heat and flavor.