We've got some blood pressure problems in the family, so we're taking dietary measures.
- 1 c long-grain rice
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ c chopped red or green bell pepper, or combination green and red
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 c chopped onion
- ½ c chopped sliced celery
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
- ¼ c raisins
- 3 tbsp blanched sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ tsp dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- sliced or slivered almonds for garnish
Cook rice with water as package directs, just until tender.
Wash chicken and pat dry. Heat the butter in a large skillet; brown chicken on both sides; remove to a 2-quart casserole.
Pour off excess butter and add the bell pepper, garlic, onions, celery, tomatoes, raisins, almonds, and seasonings. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
Spoon the rice over the chicken then pour the sauce over all. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Garnish with almonds, if desired.