Hot Beef & Coconut Curry (By JonMagic)
A yummy Thai dish we got from a little Thai cookbook.
- 1 ¾ c coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 lbs braising steak (a pound fed 2)
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, shredded (I couldn't find these, so we just used lime zest)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 large fresh red chili (we substituted a serrano)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (Thai basil is even better)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded coconut to garnish (we didn't use this)
- freshly cooked rice
Place coconut milk in a large pan and bring to a boil (I whisked it a lot to keep it from scorching).
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened.
Stir in the curry paste and garlic and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Cut the beef into ¾ inch (bite size) chunks.
Add to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat and add he kaffir lime leaves (or lime zest), lime juice, fish sauce, sliced chili, turmeric, and ½ tsp of salt.
Cover the pan and continue simmering for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the meat is tender, adding a little water if the sauce looks too dry.
Stir in the basil and cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with shredded coconut and serve with freshly cooked rice.