(see source for link to webpage for pics).
- 4 lbs bottom round, well trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 2 large onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 c dry red wine
- 1 lbs potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- ½ lbs baby carrots (about 2 cups)
- 2 c beef broth
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c frozen peas, thawed
Coat the beef in the flour. Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary. Transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions; transfer to the cooker.
Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add to the cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf.
Cover and cook on low heat for 7 ½ hours, or on high for 4 hours. Add the peas and heat through.