- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut in small dice, about 2 cups
- 1/3 c chopped pecans
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 c Arborio rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ c fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onion tops or fresh parsley
Heat 3 cups of vegetable broth to the boiling point; reduce heat to the lowest setting to keep hot.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter; add minced shallot and pecans; cook until shallot is tender. Add rice and cook, stirring, until well blended. Stir in sweet potato. Stir about ¾ cup of the hot broth into the rice mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding liquid, about ¼ to 1/3 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until the rice and sweet potato are tender (not overly soft). The texture should be creamy and a little loose. This will take about 25 minutes and about 2 to 3 cups of broth. Stir in Parmesan cheese and green onion or parsley, then taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.