- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c white sugar
- ¼ c granulated maple sugar
- ¼ c eggs
- ¼ c pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp fresh ginger root, grated, peeled
- 2 ¼ c flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Bottled maple cream (or substitute powdered sugar icing flavored with maple syrup)
Cream butter and sugars thoroughly in a large bowl. Beat in egg. Stir in syrup, vinegar, vanilla, and grated ginger root.
Sift flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in a separate bowl. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until a soft dough forms.
Roll dough into four logs, each about 1 ½ inches in diameter. (Use flour on hands to prevent sticking.) Wrap in wax paper and freeze until firm, two or more hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. Slice ¼-inch rounds from logs and place them 1 ½ inches
apart on cookie sheets. Bake 9-10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
When cookies are cool, frost them with maple cream. Store airtight.