A vegan, gluten free 30-minute curry that’s loaded with veggies and swimming in a perfectly-spiced coconut milk broth. Coconut quinoa sends this over the top. Simple, healthy, fast and so delicious.
For the Curry:
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (I use leek)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
- ½ c broccoli florets (or green bell pepper), diced
- ½ c diced carrots
- ¼ c diced tomato
- 1/3 c snow peas (loosely cut)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced optional for heat
- 2 cans light coconut milk (sub full fat for richer texture)
- 1 c veggie stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the Coconut Quinoa:
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
- 1 c quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer*
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice, cilantro, mint and/or basil, red pepper flake
If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added another pinch or two of salt.
Serve over coconut quinoa and garnish with fresh lemon juice and herbs.