- 1 bunch (6 large) scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 (16-ounce) bags coleslaw mix or 1 (16-ounce) bag each of shredded green and shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ c soy sauce
- ¼ c lemon juice
- ¼ c vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (from about a 1-inch piece)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 20 grinds black pepper
Rough up the scallion slices a little with your fingers so all the little layers of the scallion whites separate. Toss the coleslaw mix or both kinds of cabbage, the red onion and scallions together in a large bowl until everything is thoroughly mixed. You can make the slaw up to this point up to a day in advance as long as you keep it refrigerated. Before serving, simply bring the slaw back to room temperature, make the dressing and toss.
Stir the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl until blended, then pour over the vegetables. Serve within 1 hour of dressing or the cabbage will get wilty and sad.