- ½ c chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ c water
- 1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes
- ¾ c uncooked instant rice, OR 1 1/2 C cooked brown rice
- 1/3 c medium picante sauce or salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven until onion is tender.
Add water, broth, beans, tomatoes with juice, rice, picante sauce, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil.
Cover; reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving, if desired.