- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp yellow or white miso
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil of choice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 c green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- 6 large carrots, peeled and shredded or cut into very thin matchsticks
- 1 kohlrabi, jicama or celeriac (or a combination), peeled and shredded or cut into very thin matchsticks
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, shallot, miso, oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and kohlrabi. Drizzle about ¾ of the dressing over the slaw, then toss well. Taste and adjust with additional dressing as desired.
For the best crunch, toss the salad with the dressing no longer than 6 hours before serving, and keep it refrigerated. The dressing is wonderfully potent, so you may not need all of it. Leftover dressing is great drizzled over brown rice.