- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttersticks or vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh chestnuts, peeled
- 3 c vegetable stock
- ¼ c apple juice
- ¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- Vegan sour cream or plain vegan yogurt, optional
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery, and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add chestnuts and continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add apple juice, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes. Add tarragon and continue cooking 5 minutes. Let soup cool until lukewarm, then puree the soup in a blender. Return to saucepan and reheat. Adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.