- 1 ear corn, kernels shaved (or 3/4 C frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced (about 3 C)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 3/4 C)
- 12 oz veggie protein crumbles
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted or regular diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2/3 c semi-sweet chocolate, grated or shaved
In a large heavy skillet, roast the corn over medium high heat until golden, remove and set aside. Heat 1 T of oil in skillet over medium heat and cook eggplant with a pinch of salt until golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining 1 T of oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and sautÃ© for 1 minute, then add the onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the protein crumbles, jalapeÃ±o, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add some juice from the tomatoes if mixture cooks too quickly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in corn, eggplant, beans, tomatoes, broth, and lime juice. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste to adjust seasonings, then stir in chocolate.