This is my edited version of Emeril Lagasse's "Creole Spiced Seafood Gazpacho."
- 2 ½ lbs Creole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- ¼ c minced shallots
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp grated fresh horseradish
- ¼ c chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 c vegetable juice (recommended: V-8)
- ½ c to 1 C pepper-flavored vodka (recommended: Absolut Peppar Vodka)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 lemons, juiced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ c brunoise carrots
- ¼ c brunoise parsnips
- ¼ c brunoise red onions
- ¼ c brunoise red peppers
- ¼ c brunoise celery
- ¼ c brunoise cucumbers
- ½ c extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ c finely chopped fresh herbs, (such as basil, chervil, tarragon, etc.)
- 1 c fresh herb salad
In a food processor with a metal blade, combine the chopped vegetables, shallots, garlic, horseradish, and cilantro. Puree the mixture until slightly smooth. Add the vegetable juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, and the juice from 2 lemons. Puree until the mixture is smooth. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Remove the mixture from the food processor and refrigerate for 6 hours, so the flavors can marry.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the vegetables and blanch for 1 minute. Remove and shock the vegetables in a bowl of ice water. Remove the vegetables and pat dry.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and remaining lemon juice together. Add the herbs and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper. In a mixing bowl, toss the brunoise vegetables with ¼ cup of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, ladle the gazpacho into each bowl. Spoon the vegetable relish in the center of each bowl. Garnish with the herb salad.