- 1 lb extra firm tofu OR seitan, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 2 qts vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1 rib celery, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp Thyme Leaves
- ¾ tsp Sweet Curry Powder
- ¾ tsp Hot Curry Powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lb (about 8) small new red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 tsp Parsley Flakes
- 1-2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 c whole milk (or coconut milk)
Heat stock in a soup pot over medium-low heat. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion, celery, carrot and Thyme. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until onions are clear. The object is not to brown the vegetables. If that starts to happen, reduce the heat a touch. Stir in Curry Powders, flour and honey, cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the chopped apple, stir to coat, and then add hot stock to the skillet gradually, a ladleful at a time, stirring until smooth and thickened. Two C of stock should be all you need to add.
Carefully pour the thickened stock back into the soup pot, add potatoes, Parsley, salt, Pepper, and tofu/seitan, simmer 30 minutes or so, until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, slowly stir in the milk and serve. To reheat leftover soup, bring to a simmer slowly over low heat.