- 1 c whole spelt flour
- 1 c barley flour (or use 1 C white and 1 C whole wheat flour in place of spelt and barley if you prefer)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ½ c apple juice, plus more as needed
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 zucchini, finely grated (about 1 1/2 C)
- ½ c finely chopped or ground walnuts
- ½ c currants or raisins (optional, they add a touch of sweetness)
Preheat the oven to 375Âº. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with nonstick spray.
Combine both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
Place the bananas, blackstrap molasses, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar in a blender and blend until smooth. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, then fold in the zucchini, walnuts, and currants or raisins. Use a bit more apple juice if needed to wet all the flour.
Divide mixture evenly into the 12 lined muffin cups, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top springs back to the touch. Remove muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container or freeze in individual freezer bags to pull out and put into lunches as needed.