Edit history for Grandma's Banana Layer Cake
Grandma's Banana Layer Cake
1 1/3 c butter, softened (vegan)
1 1/3 c sugar
2 c sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c mashed banana
1/3 c milk, divided (non-dairy)
2 eggs (or Egg Replacer)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened (vegan)
2 tbsp milk (non-dairy)
1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375Ã‚Â°F. Cream butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; add to butter mixture. Stir in bananas and 3 T of the milk; beat 1 minute. Add eggs, vanilla and the remaining milk, beating 1 minute more. Pour batter into 2 (9") greased and floured baking pans.
3. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
4. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread evenly with 1/2 to 3/4 C frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting; refrigerate.
1. For frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese and milk at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. At low speed, gradually add powdered sugar, beating well until smooth. Add vanilla, mixing well.
1. Makes 12 servings
Source(s): Kelly Duff, Clearwater, FL