These grilled veggies can be used for many great meals!
- ½ c olive oil
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano leaves
- ½ tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb eggplant*, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2" slices
- 1/2 lb zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2" slices
- 1/2 lb yellow squash, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2" slices
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2" rings
- 1 small bell pepper, stem, seeds and ribs removed, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ c coarsely grated Pecorino Romano (optional)
- ½ c lightly toasted pine nuts, garnish
- Chiffonade fresh basil leaves, garnish
- Bruschetta, recipe below, accompaniment
- 1 loaf Italian bread, such as Ciabatta, cut crosswise into 1/2" slices
- 1 large whole clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- *If you're like me and don't like eggplant, whole mushrooms or another vegetable of choice can be substituted in its place.
In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper flakes to make the marinade.
Place the eggplant (or other vegetable), zucchini, squash, onions and bell peppers in a large bowl and toss with the marinade to coat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Preheat the grill to very high heat (alternately, preheat the broiler). Remove the vegetables from the marinade and lay on the grill, in batches if necessary. Grill over very high heat until marked, about 1 minute per side. Remove with tongs and place on a platter to cool slightly. (Alternately, arrange in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and broil until beginning to char, 2-3 minutes per side).
Sprinkle the vegetables with the cheese, pine nuts and basil. Serve with bruschetta or as a salad.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Place the bread slices on the grill and cook until marked and lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Rub 1 side of the bread with the crushed garlic and reserve until ready to serve.