- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 c thinly-sliced yellow onion, or leek
- 1 ½ lbs red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey, or agave nectar
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of crushed red chili flakes, optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and sauté for 1-2 minutes until they begin to darken and pop, then add the ginger and onion and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the cabbage, vinegar, honey, coriander and chili flakes to the pan and stir well. Cook the cabbage, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve warm.
Serving suggestion: Full-flavored enough to stand up as a side to hearty dishes, a small bed of this braised cabbage is a colorful accompaniment to baked, seasoned tempeh patties, veggie burgers, or falafel.