I made this with quinoa instead of rice, and it was fabulous!
- ¼ c olive or sunflower oil
- ¼ c Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 c of long grain rice, thoroughly rinsed until water runs clear (I used quinoa instead)
- 1 small leek, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and stems removed, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 14.5 can whole tomatoes, pureed OR 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 ½ c vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sea salt
Heat earth balance and olive oil in a large heavy cast iron pot over medium high heat.
Add rice (or quinoa) and stir constantly until it begins to brown.
Add leeks and garlic and stir 2-3 minutes.
Add jalapeño and red pepper and stir 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and stir 2-3 minutes.
Add water or broth, fresh cilantro, cumin and sea salt. Stir well, reduce heat to medium low and cover with a slight air escape. Do not stir rice (or quinoa) again until all the water is absorbed (about 20-30 minutes).
Once water is absorbed, uncover, stir and cook 5 more minutes uncovered, until fluffy.
Note: You can add other ingredients to this recipe for a more complete meal such as corn kernels or cooked beans (I’m a fan of adding chick peas) right before adding the broth/water. You may want to adjust the seasonings to compensate for the new ingredients.