- 14 oz 365 Organic Everyday Value Tofu
- ¼ c cornstarch or flour for dusting
- Canola or corn oil for frying
- ½ c sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/3 c honey (or agave nectar)
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp finely minced ginger
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (not toasted)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
Wrap tofu with paper towels and place on a cutting board. Put another cutting board or heavy plate on top to press out liquid for about 20 minutes. Stir together sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer sauce while you cook tofu. Dry drained tofu with paper towels and cube. Dust very lightly with cornstarch or flour. Heat 1" oil in a deep frying pan. Fry tofu in 350°F oil until golden brown. Place fried tofu on a large platter or bowl and toss with 2/3 C warmed sauce, sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds and scallions, toss gently. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping or to drizzle over vegetables.
Serve with steamed bok choy or broccoli, sauteed watercress or eggplant, and brown rice.