- ½ c quinoa, well-rinsed under cold water
- 1 medium carrot, cut in large chunks
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (e.g. cannellini or great northern beans),
- drained and rinsed
- 1/3 c plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (or 1/4 cup silken tofu for a vegan burger)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 whole grain or regular hamburger buns
- Accompaniments: purchased hummus, salad greens, jarred roasted red bell
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and
reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Set
aside to cool slightly.
In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa,
green onions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg (or tofu), cumin, salt, and pepper.
Pulse until just blended (and still slightly chunky).
Form mixture into four ¾-inch-thick). If too soft, refrigerate 15 minutes
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Cook burgers until
browned and cooked through, 8-10 minutes per side.
Toast the buns and spread with some of the hummus. Top with the burgers,
greens and red bell peppers. Makes 4 hearty burgers.