- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c diced red bell pepper
- ½ c diced green onions
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp prepared salsa
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- dash of hot sauce optional
Scoop the flesh out of the zucchini halves. Gently squeeze it to extract any excess liquid, then dice about a cup of the flesh to use for the filling.
Cook the zucchini boats cut side down on an oiled sheet pan for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the boats over.
While zucchini are cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the red pepper, green onions and zucchini flesh for 3-5 minutes. Add the ground cumin, salsa, and black beans and cook another minute. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper, and hot sauce if using.
Evenly distribute the filling mixture between the zucchini boats. Return the filled boats to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted.