- 4 lbs of your favorite winter squash (butternut, acorn, sunshine)
- 4 qt vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ c fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaf, dried
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb (approximately) fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 15-oz cans cooked cannellini beans
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- ½ c white wine
- 1 large bay leaf
Halve the squash and scoop out the seeds. Roast the squash in a 350°F oven until soft, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool and scoop the flesh into a large bowl (save any liquids!). Puree the cooled squash (add a little liquid, if needed).
In a large stock pot, add the oil and saute the onions over medium heat until they begin to brown, then add the garlic, thyme and black pepper and cook (stirring often) until the garlic turns light brown in color. Add the stock, bay leaf, wine and squash to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the remaining ingredients and salt and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust as needed.