This soup will not only boost your mood, but will also boose your immune system!
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass (lower bulbous part sliced thinly)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (fresh, frozen, or dried)
- 6-8 cubes deep fried tofu, left whole or cut smaller
- 1-2 small green or red chilies (depending on desired spiciness), seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, red and green
- A handful of fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 oz dried eggless (wheat) noodles (or enough for 4 people)
- 1/3 c fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- Optional: additional Thai red chilies (left whole)
Pour stock into a deep cooking pot.
Place lemongrass slices in a food processor and process until finely grated, or pound by hand with a pestle & mortar and add to the broth.
Add garlic, chilies (including whole chilies, if using) and lime leaves to broth. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until broth is fragrant.
Add the noodles and stir until broken apart. Turn heat down to medium-high.
Add tofu, mushrooms, bell peppers. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until noodles are done.
Turn down the heat to low and add the coconut milk and soy sauce. Test the soup for spice and salt, adding more chilies and/or soy sauce (instead of salt) as desired.
Serve in bowls with coriander sprinkled over and quarters of fresh lime on the side.
Note: If this dish is to be served as an appetizer, the noodles can be omitted to create a lighter soup.