- 2 c cooked or one 15- to 16-oz can (drained and rinsed) pink or small red beans
- ½ c quick-cooking oats or quinoa flakes
- ½ c walnuts
- Parsley leaves from a couple of sprigs
- ¼ c tomato sauce or organic ketchup
- 1 tbsp olive oil or water
- 2 scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, mesquite, or other smoky seasoning
- dash 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend like Frontier or Mrs.
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Salt taste first, you may not need any if using canned beans to taste
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Combine all the ingredients except the salt in a food processor and pulse on and off until the mixture starts holding together.
Stop the machine from time to time to stir the mixture around so that it gets chopped up evenly.
You want it to get fairly smooth, but with some texture — not totally pureed. Taste first to see if you’d like more salt. Err on the side of caution, as your marinara sauce will add salt to the dish as well.
Line a baking sheet with parchment. Form the bean mixture into 1" balls and arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom, then carefully turn over (using a tablespoon works) and bake for about 10 minutes more, or until the underside is lightly browned as well.
Serve at once over the pasta with marinara sauce that you’ve presumably prepared while these were baking.