Great for making "egg" salad sandwiches!
- 14 oz firm tofu, drained (not Silken–a test proved it to be unsatisfactory)
- 1 ½ tsp black salt, or to taste (you may substitute sea salt for a different, but still delicious, result)
- 2 stalks of celery, trimmed, sliced vertically into 4 strips and sliced thinly crosswise
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (if you don’t have any on hand, use white vinegar or even sweet or dill pickle juice)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp yellow mustard (I like a generous 1/2)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dried dill weed or 1 T fresh minced dill
- 1 tsp natural sugar or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mash tofu with salt in a medium-size bowl using a potato masher or a fork. Don’t worry about over-mashing, as the texture seems to improve with additional mashing. Fold in celery with a fork. In a small cup or bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients except black pepper and fold it into the tofu mixture until the dressing is completely incorporated. Adjust seasoning with additional black salt, sugar, and pepper if needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.