- 2 c apple juice
- 3 tbsp agar-agar flakes
- 24 oz extra firm silken tofu
- 2-3 T vegetable oil
- 1 ½ c non-dairy milk of choice (soy, rice, oat, etc.)
- 1 c sugar, brown rice syrup, OR maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ c strawberries, fresh or frozen sliced
- To halve:
- 1 c apple juice
- 1 ½ tbsp agar-agar flakes
- 12 oz extra firm silken tofu
- 1-2 T vegetable oil
- ¾ c non-dairy milk
- ½ c sugar, brown rice syrup, OR maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c strawberries
In a small saucepan, place the apple juice and agar-agar flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes.
In a food processor, process the tofu and vegetable oil for 2 minutes to form a smooth puree.
Add the dissolved agar-agar, soymilk, sugar, vanilla and salt, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy.
Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired,
Add the strawberries and pulse the food processor 3 times.
Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature.