- 1 ¼ c whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ¼ c sucanat or brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp chai spice mixture
- 2/3 c almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 c sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, sliced down the middle and seeds removed
- *Note: Glaze the donuts right before eating because they will soak up the glaze quickly.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chai mixture into a large bowl. Don’t skip this step as it sifts out the large sugar crystals and wheat flakes.
Add the applesauce and vanilla to the almond milk mixture and stir well.
Add the wet almond milk and applesauce mixture to the sifted dry mixture and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
Put the batter into either a piping bag or a plastic bag with the corner cut off to pipe it into your donut pan. Fill the pan to about ¾ full in each donut.
Bake for 10-13 minutes You can test by inserting a toothpick and pulling it out. If it is clean then they are done. If not, bake them for just a minute or two longer and test again.
Let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then flip the pan to release them. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes longer.
Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla bean, and almond milk. Add more almond milk ½ tsp at a time if you want to thin it out. You want it pretty thick or it will not stick to the donut.
Once the donuts have cooled slightly you can liberally spoon the glaze over the donuts.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge… if they make it that long you eat them all.