- 6 oz plain non-dairy yogurt
- ½ c finely diced cucumber
- 1 ½ tsp finely minced fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 oz tempeh, cut into 1/2" thick strips
- 2 tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 c water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large tomato, sliced into half moons
- ½ c thinly julienned red onion
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
In a small mixing bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, dill, 1 tsp of the minced garlic and 2 T of the lemon juice. Set aside.
Place the tempeh in a large pot along with the remaining garlic, tamari, spices, Worcestershire, remaining lemon juice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 20 minutes. Remove the tempeh and discard the liquid.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh strips and pan fry on each side for a few minutes until browning and crispy.
To assemble gyro sandwiches, gently warm the pita bread to soften and top with tomato and onion. Add the cooked tempeh strips and yogurt sauce and fold or roll the pita over the fillings.