I'm a Bariatric Patient (meaning, I've had a gastric bypass) and need to get in lots of protein when I eat a meal, then some veggies, and very little if any carbs. I came up with this recipe to satisfy my nutritional needs. My family loves it because it's a complete meal and works well on hot spring and summer days here in South Central Texas where we're already getting 90 degree days.
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 12 or 12.5 oz can of chicken, drained
- 2 carrots, rough/course shredded or chopped
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 1 rib of celery, sliced thin
- 1 4 ¼ oz can of sliced or chopped black olives
- 1/2 to 1 cup of Low Fat/No Fat/Light Italian or Vinegrette salad dressing
- Leaf Lettuce (optional)
Break up the drained chicken in a large bowl. Add in the black beans and toss together well. Add in the rest of the veggies and toss again. Last, add in the dressing and toss to coat well. Serve at room temperature or chill. Optional serving suggestion is to pile the bean salad on a bed of leaf lettuce. Makes about 4 to 6 servings depending on portion size.