Baked Beans that don't require a bottle of BBQ Sauce. Adapted from Alton Brown's Once and Future Beans.
- 3 c dry Great Northern Beans
- 1 lbs bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- ¼ c tomato paste (6oz. can works fine)
- ¼ c dark brown sugar or 2 Tbs. if preferred
- ¼ c molasses
- 4 c vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
Soak beans in water overnight or at least 8 hours.
Heat oven to 250.
In dutch oven over medium heat stir in bacon, onions and jalapeños until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, brown sugar and molasses.
Drain and rinse beans and add to the dutch oven along with broth and spices.
Stir and bring to boil over high heat.
Cover with lid and bake for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.