Easy, made with whole eggs rather than the usual yolks only.
- 6 large eggs (or 12 yolks)
- 1 ½ c cane juice crystals
- pinch of salt
- 1 c fresh lime juice (or bottled Key Lime juice)
- Zest of 2 large or 4 small limes (or Key limes) (optional)
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
Place eggs, sugar, salt, juice, and zest in a medium saucepan. Do not put it over the heat yet. Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
Place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Turn all the way to low and add the butter. Stir until smooth.
Remove from heat and pour into jar(s). Makes just shy of 4 cups.