- 2 1/4 cps unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ c brown sugar, lightly packed (light or dark)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/ 2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 c grated carrots
- 1 c (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, packed in juice and drained. (a drained 20oz is slightly more than a cup, I just dump the whole thing in.)
- ¾ c golden raisins, or other dried fruit
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c oil
Line muffins tins with paper cups.
Preheat oven to 350 and put rack in lower 3rd of the oven.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, sugar cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Add the carrots, pineapple, raisins, coconut, and nuts and mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the vanilla and then the oil. Pour egg mixture into the dry ingredients in thirds and blend well. (Do not over mix or muffins will turn out tough)
Fill muffin cups to the brim. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick or sharp, thin knife inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and remove from tins.
When making the mini-muffins, I recommend walnut or pecan meal & currants for the fruit as they are smaller.