For use in sweet rolls, cinnamon, rolls, nut rolls, poppyseed rolls, Russian style pie, etc.
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ c warm water
- 1 ½ c milk
Add to milk:
- 4 oz butter (8 Tbs.) (butter needs to melt in the hot milk)
- ½ c sugar
Beat till thick:
- 3 large whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks (use the whites for nut mixture in nut roll)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange (one tsp. powdered dry zest can be substituted)
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 c (or more as needed) all-purpose flour
To beaten eggs, add vanilla, zest, lukewarm milk mixture, yeast mixture.
Add 2 cups flour and salt. Beat well.
Switch to dough hook or stir in remaining flour. Dough will be sticky and soft.
Let rest 15 minutes.
Knead 5 minutes in machine or 10 by hand.
Rise 1.5 hours.
Divide into two, form and fill.
Let rise a bit and bake according to the form you made.
2 sticks melted butter, sugar, cinnamon. Roll, fill, slice, bake on lightly greased pan 20-30 minutes at 375°
Beat egg whites till fluffy, mix with 2 cups finely chopped walnuts. Spread on rolled dough. Sprinkle with brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Roll up and bake in log form.