Vegetarian sloppy joes with a distinctly Texas feel.
- 1 tbsp of your favorite cooking oil
- 1 c (or so) of chopped onions
- 1 tbsp of chopped garlic (already chopped is fine, otherwise 2 - 4 cloves of garlic)
- ½ c (or so) of chopped green peppers
- 1 bottle of Shiner Bock
- ½ c (or so) of Brook's Ketchup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 1 package of Quorn crumbles (you can substitute real meat, though it may require cooking first).
Heat the oil in a cast iron pan (cast iron not required, but they're the best pan for the money). Cook the onions, constantly stirring, until they start to become translucent. Add in the garlic, and mix together for 30 - 60 seconds before adding the green peppers. Cook for another few minutes, until the green peppers start to soften.
Add about half a bottle of Shiner to the mix then add the "meat". Stir until thoroughly mixed, which should cause most of the beer to be absorbed. Add in the rest of the beer, however much ketchup you desire (I end up close to a half cup). Stir in the salt and pepper and however much hot sauce you'd like. Once thoroughly mixed, let it simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened.
Serve on a bun. I like adding cheese as well.