Edit history for General Tso Tofu
General Tso Tofu
Vegan version of General Tso's chicken, takeout style tofu recipe
One package (13oz) extra-firm tofu
3 large cloves garlic
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp beer
1/2 tsp ginger powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 head of steamed broccoli (suggested side)
6 c cooked rice (suggested)
For The Sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp aji-no-moto (msg)
1/4 c water
1 tsp corn starch
1. Drain tofu for 30 minutes by setting it in a colander. Set a plate with a heavy can on top for extra weight to help it drain.
1. Mince the three cloves of garlic finely and put them in a large bowl. Add the chili flakes, beer, and ginger, and stir to combine.
1. Cut drained tofu into bite-sized cubes and gently mix it into the garlic sauce until tofu is completely coated. Cover and let rest in fridge for 1 hour.
1. In the meantime, make the sauce. Mix all the sauce ingredients together EXCEPT the cornstarch. Cover and let rest in fridge until you're ready to cook the tofu.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp cornstarch over the tofu and shake to coat evenly (or gently stir). Spread marinated tofu cubes onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
1. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the tofu from the oven and stir to coat in the hot oil.
1. Remove sauce from fridge and whisk in 1 tsp cornstarch. Pour into the frying pan and stir gently until sauce is boiling, then turn off heat.
1. Garnish plated tofu with sesame seeds and serve with steamed broccoli and rice.
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, tofu, chinese, soy, general, takeout, tso